Thursday, October 7, 2010

What the hell is a meme?

So in talking with MW (that looks really weird) she mentioned this thing that girls do on facebook called a meme. It happened in like Jan/feb with bra colors and it is happening again with places to put your purse. Apparently this is supposed to support breast cancer? Ok what? I mean thats great and all, I am all for supporting cancer research and all that, but how can I support you if I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I mean this to me is not a cute lil prop, its freakin annoying. If you really want to support a cause why dont you give money, or bring it up in actual words to actual people, or help out. Posting some cryptic thing as your facebook status is just kind of annoying.

I guess this is why guys are never a part of these things. I was thinking the other day what I would say if someone sent me one of these meme request thingys and this is it....its freaking dumb.

Which brings me to another point that I wanted to discuss. Now I understand that self exams do not always reveal lumps or anything like that(this is everywhere not just the breasts people) I also understand that things such as mammograms and uncomfortable and also don't always work. But I am getting a little annoyed at people who bitch and moan about these things. Yes it hurts to get a colonoscopy and a mammogram. But here are your options a squeezed boob/ a camera up the butt, or possible death. I mean this is pretty much a no brainer. Luckily I haven't heard a lot of this form my friends, mostly in the media. But its like dude yes it sucks, but dying sucks more get over it.
This thought was brought on by reading a story about a high school junior who had to have his leg amputated after an accident. Obviously it would suck hardcore to have your leg cut off,but the kid said ok now I build up again. It confuses me that youth seems to give people an edge in this situation. Many younger people seem to have the ability to pick themselves up and move on, while many older people tend to wallow. This is not backed up by any scientific study, just my thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Technically, a meme isn't something that girls do on facebook. Broadly, its a fad on the internet. There are all kinds of memes.

    And the MW does like really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my apologies. A meme (in this context) is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very confused on this subject as well!

    PS. I think MW looks freakin awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete