Wednesday, October 6, 2010

" Ahh I'm getting a little tired of this!" " You volunteered didn't you? We're paying you aren't we?"

So the wedding is over and things have calmed down a bit around the Williams' household (yay Williams household!)

I started out this blog with a clear cut direction, but have sort of had trouble getting things going. There are lots of things I would like to address (somethings random people have said about me recently, my AMAZING honeymoon to Florida with my lovely wife, the crazy changes happening at CSL (and my subsequent time in the penalty box aka BQ's new office). However I don't have enough to write on the majority of these topics that the people reading this blog probably haven't heard before. Instead I am going to focus on what seems to be the constant plauge in my life... stupid

This study says that 1 in 4 students/young adults binge drink.... yea? I mean is this really a surprise to anyone? But that isn't the stupid I am refering to, that little nugget is about half way down the page.

"Binge drinking increases many health risks, including fatal car crashes, contracting a sexually transmitted disease, dating violence and drug overdoses," CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said in a statement.

Now at first glance you may not see the dumb. I 100% agree that binge drinking has many health effects. And also that everything stated in that statement is bad. However to say that binge drinking increases many health risks such as the above listed is ridiculous. Health risks are the risks associated to your health in a statement. The only one of the above that could be considered a health risk is contracting an STD. Drunk driving isn't a health risk, sure its a risk to your health, but its not a health risk. The fact that its a stupid statement could almost be ignored except for the person who said it; Dr. Thomas Frieden the director of the CDC. This man chose not to list any actual health effects of binge drinking; cirrhosis of the liver, dental and mouth problems, etc. He wants to get up on his soap box and make a social statement. You work for the CDC you tell me the health risks, we have politicians to tell us the social risks. Stop stepping out of your area of expertise when using the title director of the CDC. If you want to say Dr. whatever then fine, but you are brining in a federal institution with a reputation and to make inaccurate statements is unacceptable.

Ok so that was a pretty weak post, but for some reason this guy really got under my skin. I will post again this evening hopefully with a more thoughtful post.

Ps. Anyone name the movie the title is from?

No comments:

Post a Comment