Tuesday, December 8, 2009

First post

This is my first post on a new blog. This is more of an area for me to vent or to write or to post anything I feel relevant to my life. This feels a wee bit emo, but I think it's good to get feelings out into the open. This place is a blog for me only and if you are offended then don't read it. Feel free to comment on it as discussion is always a fun activity.
Now onto it.

First I would like to explore the title of my post. This is a quote from the movie Horatio Hornblower: The Duel. Horatio Hornblower is a character originally written about by C.S. Foster and then adapted into some made for TV movies. The quote is said by Captain Sir Edward Pellew of her Majestys ship Indefatigable. In the context of the movie it is to rebuke a young midshipman (Horatio) from taking offense to something the Captain said. To me it is much more of that.
Obviously I do not agree with many of the things believed in the Napoleonic times ( racism and the thought that woman were inferior being two big ones), but I think that I do like the ideal of the time with some gentleman. I like the fact the ideas of duty, honor, chivalry and respect. I feel that is a trait that has fallen very far on our list of practiced ideals. Obviously many men (probably most) didnt actually practice and possess these traits.
It is very difficult to define and practice honor and duty. Many think it is not, but the idea of honor and duty is putting others before yourself. That is a very difficult thing to do as you need to put yourself before others to survive. However to me honor is the biggest ideal one can have. It ties into all others of course, but to have honor (especially regarding your friends) is very important to me. Many people change over the years, but to keep a certain duty to your friends is the most important thing in a friendship. Thats why I am very thankful to have 3 or 4 friends that I have always been able to call at any time for anything. I know many people would argue a different definition of honor, but this is my post so poo poo to you.

Duty is another huge one that I feel is connected to honor. If you take on a friendship with someone you have a duty to them. Not a duty in the sense that you will get in trouble if you dont do something, but duty in the sense that they are not just another person, they are your friend.
I feel that these two ideals are ideals not seen near enough in this day and age. With that I will leave you with another quote from Captain Sir Edward Pellew....." I judge a man by what I see him do, not what others tell me he has done."
CW out
Ps. In honor of my lovely Fiance all names will be replaced with initials.
PPs. I strongly urge people to both read and watch the Horatio Hornblower series, fantastic works

No comments:

Post a Comment